Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
The name Radically Eccentric says it all! Google radically then eccentric and you will get it!! I am just a young college grad seeking the Lord with all I have.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Common Courtesy...USE IT!

I have noticed quite a bit that people in general these days act like they don't have common sense to use common courtesy. And the truth is...MAYBE THEY DON'T. And if you just don't have common sense, I can't help you out with that, but I can help with the courtesy part.

Quite frankly it's annoying and sometimes can be very hurtful if you don't use it. For some people it can be a deal breaker and the fastest way to end a relationship.

Being a pushover Christian (as 98.9% of most "Christians" are) that I am (but try my hardest not to be), I get asked to do all kinds of stuff on a daily basis. I am sure I get asked, because most people know that saying no is something I struggle with. I don't want to be a miscategorized "Christian" so I usually will say yes. I don't mind being asked to do a number of things or even care if I get absolutely nothing in return, BUT...sometimes it would be nice for common courtesy to AT LEAST be reciprocated.

It seems as if common courtesy is uncommon and actually foreign. So this is my reason for taking to my blog. So get your pen and paper, ipad, android, smart phone, or whatever it is you use to take notes, because I am about to give you my list of nice things to do. This list is in no particular because they are all equally important.

Zoporia's Common Courtesy List

1. Say what you mean and mean what you say! After all you are the one saying it and not the receiving party. So FOLLOW THROUGH or DON'T SAY IT AT ALL.

2. Don't waste other people's time. Meaning don't string them along for any reason and be on time.
3. When someone sends you an invitation, REPLY. At least say, "I'm not sure yet".

4. Better yet, when a friend who was at your event invites you to theirs, it's common courtesy to attend theirs. The same rule applies to fundraising.

5. When somebody calls or text you, same thing...REPLY. 48 hours is more than enough time to say, "Hey I got your call/text, I was _____."

6. Adding please, thank you, excuse me, my apologies and God bless you to your vocabulary wouldn't hurt at all. Actually using them when bumping into somebody, receiving a gift, or when someone sneezes would be even better. I know we have all had those times when we sneezed and looked around because not one person said bless you. That kind of hurts inside.

7. Treat other people's belongings as if they were your own or even better if you treat your belongings as if they can all be easily replaced. Something that might be easy for you might be hard for somebody else.

8. Don't snoop through people's personal belongings. It's rude.

9. TIP! Tip at restaurants, Sonic, the beauty/barber shop, the nail salon, hotels, pet groomers, pretty much tip anybody who does a service for you.

10. If you ask somebody to take you somewhere, using their gas, offer them gas money. Even if it's only a gallon of gas.

11. In public places, don't be ignorant. Use manners. Nobody wants to hear your conversation, deal with your kids, smell your farts, see the food in your mouth, hear you smack, etc.

12. When texting or writing, be intelligent. Nobody can read or wants to spend a hour trying to read: Omq BtW I 3Ff!N nV U...U h@v3 *$!!!!!! (Oh my gosh by the way I freaking envy you...you have Starbucks!!!!!!)

13. Give credit where it is due and don't hog it.

I know this last one might be a little far fetched, but it's common courtesy to

14. Keep up with your personal hygiene. Nobody wants to smell you or your breath, or have your dandruff falling all over them.

Nobody is perfect, and at times we might forget, but I see way more people forgetting than being courteous. So lets start using our common sense and common courtesy. The bottom line is this:
Matthew 7:12
Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them. (The Message)
...
So then, whatever you desire that others would do to and for you, even so do also to and for them (Amplified)


If you have something to add feel free to leave a comment!

Until next time,

Zoporia :-)

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha ! When someone texts me a hru, I usually respond with a IDGTFA&HAU (I am doing great, thanks for asking, & How about you?) Short texts are totally irritating !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious! I wouldn't even reply because I would be so confused!

    ReplyDelete